Having a tough time motivating yourself to work out? Just imagine if exercise was your job. Here is a list of the top tips to stay motivated from athletes in the know….
- Workout buddies are key. Group classes at the gym—kick boxing, weight training or yoga—can not only help you stay committed it can also motivate you to work harder. Social engagements afterward- coffee, tea or just conversation- is a nice post workout treat!
- Put it on paper. Keep track of your workouts and progress. Jot down what you plan to accomplish at the gym before you go, bring a pen or pencil and keep track as you go.
- Schedule it. SO important!! We are all busy and if you don’t schedule and prioritize chances are it probably will not happen. Even if it is only for 20 minutes- it all adds up!
- Rest doesn’t always mean sedentary. Just because you’re taking a day off from working out doesn’t mean you should sit on the couch for the next 24 hours. Take a walk and get the blood flowing!
- Always have a goal in mind. Always be working toward a new goal. If you don’t have something to work for, it’s easy to get distracted. You might not be reaching for a gold medal, but you can sign up for an exercise challenge, like a 5K or a mini-triathlon.
- Take vitamins as insurance. In ideal conditions, everyone would get the necessary vitamins and nutrients from food, but sometimes that’s not possible, so taking a multivitamin as a backup plan might be a good idea. Talk to your doctor about your daily diet and see if it could help you.
- Stay hydrated. Besides the obvious need for water when you’re exercising (and sweating) a lot, keeping yourself hydrated can help you stay energized. It is recommended to drink half your body weight in ounces of water.