by Jenny Gaal, Fitness Director
We all know that the Halloween can be a scary diet killer. Especially when it seems the candy is always in our face. We try so hard to avoid the delicious treats and seasonal goodies however our weight loss goals can still take a hit. Willpower is key! Follow these simple tips for a better chance of staying on track:
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind – Leaving the candy bowl out for easy access causes us to think about having a piece every time we pass by. Place candy away in the cupboard or drawer where you cannot see it. This takes away any temptation you might have.
- Count the candy wrappers because bite-size candy bars add up quickly! – Keep the wrappers in view, and it will remind you of how many you ate and hopefully inspire you to stop after one or two. Keep in mind that one candy bar is equal to two bite-sized. Remember the old saying “everything in moderation”?
- Consider buying some whole grain snacks or non-food treats – Popcorn, granola bars, small cereal boxes, goldfish and fruit-based gummies are a popular and healthy option. As well as these non-frightening options pencils, erasers, stickers, temporary tattoos, bubbles, whistles, wax lips, etc….
- If buying candy… Don’t buy treats until Halloween day and only buy candy you don’t love – The less time you have the candy around the better. Also, it’s easier to resist opening a candy bag if it’s not your absolute favorite.
- Once Halloween is over, get all of the treats out of the house – Take them to work or then donate to a shelter or church. Local dentists will pay you for your candy and ship to troops overseas- that’s a win win! Let your child pick out a few pieces of their favorite to set aside and then give the rest away
- Allowing yourself to splurge is inevitable and actually healthy. Sometimes being too strict and depriving yourself of a small treat here and there can have a inverse effect and then you may really blow our diet. So when that day comes… Here are some “not so guilty” treats to keep in mind this season:
- Hershey Kisses – 26 calories
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – 44 calories
- Strawberry Twists – 32 calories
- Kit Kat, Fun size – 73 calories
- Nerds Fun size – 50 calories
- SweeTARTS – 50 calories
- 1 Package of Skinny Cow Clusters – 120 calories
- 30 Piece’s of Candy Corn – 125 calories
- Tall Non-fat Pumpkin Spice Latte (No whip) – 200 calories